Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Canvas
Create a Canvas Course Site (Instructor)
This article explains how to create a Canvas course site for a course you are teaching at the University of Chicago.
Overview: Creating a Course Site
When you request your course site, our system automatically creates a course site on canvas.uchicago.edu and sends you an email confirming that the course site is ready. Within a few hours, all enrolled students will automatically be added to the site; the enrollment feed runs five times per day during business hours and once overnight. At this point, the course site will be unpublished. This means that students will only receive an invitation to join the course site once you publish the course. The unpublished default setting allows you to experiment with setting up the course site before students have access to it.
If your course is not yet listed on the Canvas Course Request Form Website, or if you would like to have a test course site for getting familiar with and experimenting with Canvas, please email UChicago Canvas support at email@example.com. We will set up that site for you and respond by email.
Requesting a Canvas Course Site
- Open your internet browser to the Canvas Course Request Form Website. You will be redirected to the UChicago Single Sign-On page. Sign in with your CNetID and password.
- Once you are signed in, you will see a list of all current and upcoming courses for which you are an instructor. Select the course for which you want to create your Canvas course site and click Create.
- Review the course information. Click Create Course Site and wait for the confirmation page to load. It can take up to a few minutes for the confirmation to appear. Do not click the back button or navigate away while the page is loading.
- The link on the confirmation page will take you to your Canvas course site.
- Edit your course site on Canvas. For guidance, refer to the Course Setup Checklist found on the right-hand side of the course Home Page.
- Once you are ready to have students view the site, go to your course site at canvas.uchicago.edu, and on the right-hand side of the course Home Page you will see Course Status. Click Publish. Students will now receive an invitation to join the site.