Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Office365
Outlook 2016 Email FAQ
This article answers some frequently asked questions about using Outlook 2016.
How do I create a signature?
- Create and insert a signature in Outlook 2016 for Windows
- Create and insert a signature in Outlook 2016 for Mac
How can I recover messages that I've deleted?
- Recover deleted items in Outlook for Windows
- Recover a deleted contact in Outlook
- Video: Recover deleted contacts in Outlook [1:03]
How can I add an attachment to an email I am sending?
- Video: Add attachments and hyperlinks to emails [1:00]
- Attach a file to an email in Outlook for Windows
- Attach a file or folder to a message in Outlook 2016 for Mac
What attachment file types are restricted or blocked?
What if I need to send a file that is on the blocked file types list?
If your attachment is blocked because of file type, you have several options. We recommend the first of the below choices:
- You don't need to email the file if you transfer the file through Box.
- Documentation and help regarding Webshare can be found here.
- Rename the file so that the file type is not one on the blocked list. For example, rename myfile.exe to myfile.exx. Be sure to tell the recipient of the email to change the file name back.
- Compress the file using a file compression program like WinZip or WinRAR. This option has the added advantage of making your email smaller, thus taking up less space in the recipient's Inbox and your Sent Items, as well as conserving overall email system resources. Be sure your recipient knows how to uncompress the file once they receive it.
When I send a message with an attachment, why does the attachment icon appear in the body of the message?
If you select the "Rich Text" message format, the attachment icon displays in the message itself, instead of in the message header.
Note: We recommend against using Rich Text format, because it cannot be read or displays poorly in many non-Outlook email clients.
How do I turn on the Out of Office Assistant?
What is the address to see my University of Chicago email and calendaring?
The address for the online version of Outlook is https://outlook.office.com/owa/uchicago.edu.
What happened to distribution lists?
Distribution lists are now called contact groups
- Create a contact group or distribution list in Outlook for Mac
- Create a contact group or distribution list in Outlook for Windows
For additional tutorials click here for an overview of Lynda.com video lists and login information.