Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Office365
Outlook 2016 for Mac - Archive Email
This article describes how to archive email in Outlook 2016 for Mac.
In Outlook 2016 for Mac there is not an Auto Archive function for email. Rules can be used to archive email based on specific criteria.
Note: Please read all instructions before proceeding.
Setup Archiving Using Rules
Setting up a rule allows you to move messages that fit a certain criteria, such as their age, to another location.
- With Outlook open, select Tools from the uppermost menu, then Rules from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Exchange under the On My Computer heading in the left column of the window to highlight it, then select the + (plus) sign at the bottom of the window to add a Rule.
- In the Rule Name field of the next window, type in a description for the rule you are creating.
This will appear in the Outlook Rules window (shown above) if you need to review, modify or delete it in the future.
- Set additional criteria for the rule.
For example, to have all messages that are older than 180 days (approximately 6 months) moved from your account on the server to your Inbox on the On My Computer.
select the following:
- In the When a new message arrives: section, change the first drop down to Date Received; the next to Is Greater Than; and type 180 in the days old field.
- If you have more than one email account configured in Outlook on your computer, click the + (plus) button to the right of days old to add the next rule condition and set it for Account - is - Name of your University of Chicago email account.
- In the Do the following: section, select Move Message > Inbox (On My Computer).
- Note: if there is another folder on your computer you'd prefer to use it is ok to select this, just make sure the folder is labeled (On My Computer). Folders not labeled as such are on the mail server and will still count towards your quota.
- If there is an additional row for rule criteria not being used, select the - (minus) button to its right to remove it.
- Make sure Enabled in the lower left of the window is checked and click the OK button
- Click the red button in the upper right corner of the Rules window to close it and return to your Outlook mail.
- Click on the server Inbox to select it
- Click on the Message menu from Outlook's topmost menu, then Rules then Apply and select the rule you want to run. In this case the 180 Day Automatic Archive.
Depending on how many old messages you have it may take a few minutes to complete the archive.
- Archived messages will now appear in the On My Computer folder selected in step 4c above