Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Office365
Outlook 2016 for Mac - Store Email Offline
This article explains how to store email offline using Outlook 2016 for Mac.
Mail that is put into the On My Computer section of Outlook is stored offline.
Note: Please read all steps before taking action.
In this article you will find instructions for the following:
Outlook automatically creates a set of default folders labeled On Your Computer.
Follow these instructions if you do not see them in the folder list to the left of the Outlook mail window.
- With Outlook open, click on the main drop down menu (Outlook in the upper left) and select Preferences
- Select the General icon under the Personal Settings heading.
- De-check the options to Group similar folders... and Hide On My Computer folders check boxes.
- You will now see the On My Computer heading in the left Mail folder pane of Outlook. You may need to scroll down to find them, and click on the triangle to the left of the heading to expand and view subfolders.
If you would like to create folders other than the default ones listed under On My Computer:
- Right click on the Inbox under the On My Computer heading and choose New Folder.
- An Untitled Folder will appear under the Inbox.
- Rename the folder. You can drag and drop it to the On My Computer heading to move it from being a subfolder of the Inbox.
At any time you can move messages from folders on the mail server to On My Computer folders.
- In Outlook, click on a message or range of messages from a folder on the mail server to highlight/select.
- Click and hold on a selected message, then drag it to the desired folder under the On My Computer heading in the folder list on the left.
Note: By default, dragging messages will copy instead of moving them so you may still need to delete the messages from the original folder. To skip this step you right-click on a message, select Move and indicate the desired folder on your computer.
- You can also right-click on an email or folder and choose Move from folder options menu and move to a folder listed. Or select either the Choose Folder or Copy to Folder option. A search window comes up and you can search for the location where you want to Move or Copy the folder.
To learn how to archive messages with Rules in Outlook 2016 please click here and read article Outlook 2016 for Mac - Archiving Email.