Outlook 2016 Email FAQs
This article answers some frequently asked questions about using Outlook 2016.
See the following Microsoft Support articles to learn how to create an email signature.
- Create and add a signature to messages (Windows)
- Create and insert a signature in Outlook 2016 for Mac
See the following Microsoft Support articles to learn how to recover deleted Outlook items, including deleted contacts.
- Recover deleted items in Outlook for Windows
- Recover a deleted contact in Outlook
- Video: Recover deleted contacts [1:03]
See the following Microsoft Support articles to learn how to attach a file to an email.
- Video: Add attachments and hyperlinks to emails [1:00]
- Attach a file to an email in Outlook for Windows
- Attach a file or folder to a message in Outlook 2016 for Mac
See the Microsoft Support article Blocked attachments in Outlook for a complete list of blocked attachment types.
If your attachment is blocked because of file type, you have several options. We recommend the first of the below choices:
- Rename the file so that the file type is not one on the blocked list. For example, rename myfile.exe to myfile.exx. Be sure to tell the recipient of the email to change the file name back.
- Compress the file using a file compression program like WinZip or WinRAR. This option has the added advantage of making your email smaller, thus taking up less space in the recipient's inbox and your sent items, as well as conserving overall email system resources. Be sure your recipient knows how to uncompress the file once they receive it.
When I send a message with an attachment, why does the attachment icon appear in the body of the message?
If you select the rich text format, the attachment icon appears in the message itself, instead of in the message header.
Alert: we recommend against using rich text format because many non-Outlook email clients display it poorly or cannot read it at all.
See these Microsoft Support articles to learn how to use the Out of Office Assistant.
- Automatic replies (formerly Out of office assistant)
- The section I have an Office 365 for business or an Exchange server account in the article Send automatic out of office replies from Outlook
Where can I see my University of Chicago mail and calendaring online when I don't have access to the Outlook application?
The URL for Outlook Web Access (OWA) is https://outlook.office.com/owa/uchicago.edu. You will need to log in with your CNetID and password.
Distribution lists are now called contact groups. See these Microsoft Support articles for more information:
- Create a contact group or distribution list in Outlook for Mac
- Create a contact group or distribution list in Outlook for Windows
For additional Outloook 2016 tutorials, see the article Logging into Lynda.com Online and Using Tutorials for Office365 for a list of available Lynda.com tutorials.