Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Office365
Add and Manage Delegates in Office 365, Outlook 2016 for Mac
This article describes how to add and manage delegates in Office 365 and Outlook 2016 for Mac.
Applies to: Office 365, Outlook 2016 for Mac, Office 2016 for Mac
Delegation in Outlook 2016
Folder sharing lets other people access one or more folders. However, it does not include permissions for them to act on your behalf. For example, a person who can access your folders can’t reply to email messages or respond to meeting requests for you.
Using Delegate Access , you can give someone permission to act on your behalf. For example, you might have an assistant that you want to create and respond to meeting requests for you. Some assistants might also monitor a manager's Inbox and send email on behalf his or her behalf.
- You can give a delegate access to your Office 365 ProPlus calendar, contacts, and email, and you can set permissions that define the activities that delegates can carry out for you.
- "Send on Behalf" permissions are granted to a mailbox, users will actually send as the mailbox owner.
- When you add a delegate, the delegate has full access to your Calendar and Tasks folders.
- You can also edit your delegates level of access/permission.
Note: You and the delegate must use the same version of Outlook, an Office 365 ProPlus account is required, you cannot access delegation settings on mobile device's Outlook App.
Delegate Permission Levels
- Reviewer: with this permission, the delegate can read items in your folders.
- Author: with this permission, the delegate can read and create items, and change and delete items that he or she creates. For example, a delegate can create task requests and meeting requests directly in your Task or Calendar folder and then send the item on your behalf.
- Editor: with this permission, the delegate can do everything that an Author has permission to do and additionally can change and delete the items that you created.
- Add and manage delegates in Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Video: Assign a delegate to manage your calendar on a Mac [3:24]
- Allow someone else to manage your mail and calendar
- Options for sharing and delegating folders in Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Become a delegate or stop being a delegate in Outlook 2016 for Mac
For additional tutorials
- Click here for an overview of Lynda.com video lists and login information.
- See Working as a Delegate: Managing Another User's Calendar and Email in Outlook 2016