Use Excel Office365 ProPlus vs. Excel Online
This article defines guidelines for using Excel online vs. Excel in Office 365 ProPlus.
Note: Applications must be locally installed in order for Office365 to be used online. A maximum of five devices can access Office online and must be used every 30 days to avoid reactivation.
Office365 ProPlus is locally installed on your system and available to use at all times, not requiring an internet connection. ProPlus has advanced features and commands that are not available in the Online version of Excel. Here are some of the features within the ProPlus version of Excel:
- Does not require online access
- Has advanced features such as Pivot tables and external data references
- You can save your workbook locally or online storage at OneDrive
For additional details:
- Basic tasks in Excel Online
- Excel Training
- Differences between using a workbook in the browser and in Excel.
With Excel Online you use your web browser to create, view, edit and share workbooks that you created in Excel and stored in OneDrive. You can access your workbooks whenever you have an Internet connection. Here are some examples of the work you can do in the online version of Excel:
- Access workbooks stored in your OneDrive
- Open attachments in Mail
- Save your workbook online storage at OneDrive
- Workbooks save automatically with every change
- Sharing workbooks with other users in the University's Office 365 tenant is as simple as sending a link.
To make changes other than basic ones, open in the ProPlus version of Excel for added functionality. Some Add-ins and Plug-ins may not work with Excel Online. For further assistance, please contact your normal desktop support and/or vendor.
- Click here to Sign In to the Office 365 portal to get started.
Note: Use your CNetID@uchicago.edu email address and password.
- Sign in with your CNetID and Password