Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Respondus
Respondus - Installing Respondus
This article explains how an instructor can download and install Respondus. Respondus is a program that allows a user to download exams, tests, quizzes, and surveys from Chalk and upload them to Canvas.
What is Respondus?
Respondus is a tool for creating, migrating, and publishing exams, tests, and quizzes across different Learning Management Systems, such as Chalk and Canvas. Up to 15 different question types are supported. Respondus only runs on Windows computers.
The University of Chicago has purchased a campus-wide license for current faculty, instructors, and staff who support teaching and learning. The licensing information must be entered when the Respondus software is installed and when the campus license renews annually on July 31.
- Log in to UChicago Box (https://uchicago.app.box.com/login) with your CNetID and password.
- Go to the University of Chicago Software folder.
- Go to the Respondus Installation Program folder.
- Download and run the .exe installation file in order to install the program.
- When prompted, enter the license information that can be found in the ReadMe-LicenseInfo.txt file.
Tip: The licensing information provided here only works with the Campus-wide Version of the software, and NOT with the Single-User Version.
Tip: Just as with any software installation, you will require Admin permissions to install Respondus onto a computer.
Tip for Mac Users: Respondus is for PCs only. If you don’t have access to a PC, you can check one out from the Techbar. Starting in Winter Quarter 2017, PCs from the Techbar will come pre-installed with Respondus.
- Select your language and click Next.
- On the installation wizard screen, click Next to continue.
- Select I accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next.
- Click Next to choose the default folder location; or click Change to select a different directory.
- Click Next to choose the default projects folder location; or click Change to select a different directory.
- Click Install.
- A prompt will ask whether you want to install the Respondus Equation Editor. Click Yes.
- Respondus Equation Editor Setup will appear. Click OK.
- When the installation completes, click OK. The Read Me will open in your browser.
- In the Respondus Install Shield Wizard, click Finish. You should now be able to open Respondus on your PC.