Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Business Systems > Student Systems > AIS (Academic Information System)
Academic Information System - FAQ
This article explains answers to frequently asked questions about the Academic Information System (AIS). AIS tracks student academic information such as financial aid, courses, transcripts, degree progress, billing information for students. Beginning Sept. 2016, it is the system of record for all academic information for all students.
How do I report an issue with AIS?
Issues with the functionality of AIS are first investigated by the departments responsible for AIS functionality. Staff members should report issues to the following mailboxes:
- firstname.lastname@example.org - for issues related to admissions information as it appears in AIS.
- FA_Help@lists.uchicago.edu – for issues related to Financial Aid ('Financial Aid' somewhere in the navigation path)
- SF_Help@uchicago.edu – for issues related to student billing ('Student Financials' somewhere in the navigation path)
- Reg_Help@lists.uchicago.edu – for all other issues
Resolution to issues can be expedited if your email contains as much of the following critical information as possible:
- Contact information (Name, email, phone, department)
- Description of the issue
- System in which the issue is encountered (e.g. AIS, Gargoyle, PowerFaids)
- Device, Operating System, Browser type/versions
- Navigation to the point where the issue is encountered (or URL)
- Numbered steps to reproduce the issue
- Expected Results
- Actual Results
- Screenshots are always very helpful
Which AIS site should I be accessing?
- my.uchicago.edu is the departmental staff and students’ access to student academic data in AIS.
- AIS.uchicago.edu is the AIS project website where updates, FAQs about the project, and Training links are provided
- AIS Training is the site where training materials are kept. This site can also be accessed via links on ais.uchicago.edu
How do I request access to AIS?
Students - Access is automatically granted when a student is admitted into a program and has claimed his/her CNetID.
Staff - Ask your supervisor to email email@example.com to request access. The request will be reviewed and routed for appropriate authorization by the Registrar’s office, your FERPA training will be tracked for completion by the Registrar’s office, and then your access will be granted by the AIS security team. Once security is granted, the Registrar’s office will inform you.
I have been given access, but can’t login. What next?
Students - AIS single sign-on (SSO) access is granted through Shibboleth. If you can’t access the AIS production site, you may have an issue with your CNetID, Shibboleth synchronization, or the site you are accessing. If you suspect your login issue might be an access/permissions issue with AIS, submit an email to Reg_Help@uchicago.edu to help identify next steps. Remember to provide the critical information requested in the article How do I report an issue with AIS?
Staff - AIS single sign-on (SSO) access is granted through Shibboleth and requires 2-Factor Authentication. If you can’t access the AIS production site, you may have an issue with your CNetID, Shibboleth synchronization, 2-factor authentication, or the site you are accessing. If you suspect your login issue might be an access/permissions issue with AIS, submit an email to Reg_Help@uchicago.edu to help identify next steps. Remember to provide the critical information requested in the article How do I report an issue with AIS.