Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring > Outlook 2011 for Mac
Outlook 2011 for Mac - Storing Email Offline
This article explains how to store email offline using Outlook 2011.
Please read all steps before taking action.
First make sure the On My Computer folder is not hidden. From the menu bar navigate to Outlook > Preferences > General and remove the check from "Hide On My Computer folders".
Depending on your personal organization style, unchecking the option "Group similar folders, such as Inboxes, from different accounts" may be helpful.
Mail that is put into the On My Computer section of Outlook is stored on your computer.
- Open the folders on the server and On My Computer collection are both open.
If you don't see the mailboxes listed, click the triangle next to the account name to expand the list.
- You can copy a folder into the On My Computer section by dragging and dropping.
You will see a familiar green plus sign (not pictured below) letting you know that Outlook is only copying the item(s).
- Suppose you've already created a folder in the On My Computer section and you want to copy specific items only...just control-click those items in the listing on the server and choose Move from the context menu.
- Choose the folder from the list.
Make sure that it has the (On My Computer) in the location name.
- Optionally you can use the "Choose Folder.." or "Copy to Folder..." items. This is helpful if you have a large list of folders.
Clicking either option will drop-down a search box.
- Start typing the location name and Outlook begins the search. Use the location that clearly identified as "On My Computer".
- You've moved messages and/or folders at this point; continue until you've moved everything you need to save.