Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Business Systems > HR Systems > Workday
Workday - Payroll FAQ
How do I change my state allowances?
Download paper Illinois Department of Revenue Form IL-W-4: Employee’s Illinois Withholding Allowance Certificate and Instructions. Submit paper W4 form to Payroll, 6054 S Drexel, 3rd Floor, Chicago IL 60637
You can view and confirm tax elections by clicking Pay > Tax Elections in Workday.
How do I complete my Federal W4?
- At the bottom of the screen, click Complete Federal Withholding Elections for University of Chicago.
- On the next screen, choose the date when you want the new tax election to take effect, and click OK.
- Complete the electronic W4 form.
- Select I Agree.
- Click OK.
- Click Personal Information > Contact > Edit.
- To update your primary address and phone number information, click the edit icon (looks like a piece of paper with a pencil).
- Enter the effective date for when the change should take place, update the information, and click Done.
- If you need to add additional information, click the + icon, enter the effective date for when the change should take place, enter the new information, then click Done.
All pay advices for 2015 or later can be viewed in Workday:
- Click Pay > Payslips.
- Click the pay period of the payment you wish to view.
For payments before 2015, individuals will need to visit the Employee Self Service site.
- Click Paycheck > View Pay Stub Detail.
- Choose the pay advice you wish to view by selecting the date in the Pay Date - Chk/Adv No. drop-down field.
If you are a terminated employee, or to see pay advices more than two years old, you will need to contact the Payroll listhost.
It can take up to two pay cycles for direct deposit information to be verified. Paper checks will be issued while this information is being verified. To find out where you pick up your checks see If my pay comes through as a check, where can I get it? in this FAQ.
Former employees who need a copy of their 2014 (or prior year) W2 can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
W2 information for tax years 2007 - 2014 can be found at the Employee Self-Service site:
- Click Paycheck > View W-2 Form.
- Select the tax year to view by choosing the year in the W-2 Form For Tax Year drop-down field.
This information can be viewed the day after a payroll closing, usually the Wednesday after a closing for bi-weekly employees, or the Monday after a closing for monthly employees. See the Payroll Calendar for closing dates and paydays.
See the Payroll Deduction Listing.
Click Pay > Payment Elections
- To change account information, click Change Account in the Account
- To add a primary or additional account, click Add Account.
- To change how your pay is distributed between accounts, click Change Election in the Payment Election
There are two default pay types in the Payment Elections section:
Regular is for all regular payroll payments. Any regular payroll payments will be paid to the accounts selected under this payment election.
Expense Reimbursement is used only for reimbursements issued through the payroll system.
- To change what accounts are used for the specific pay types, click Change Election next to the Pay type (Regular or Expense Reimbursement) that you wish to update.
- If no payment elections are already entered, you may need to click the + icon to add an account payment election. You will need to do this to add an additional account under the Payment Election as well.
- Complete the following required fields when you add a Payment Election line:
- Country: the country from which the account originates, for example the United States
- Currency: U.S. dollars (USD)
- Payment Type: direct deposit or check
- Account: select the account that was added in the step 3.
- In the next section, choose your allocations:
- Choose Balance if the remaining balance should be sent to this account.
- Choose Amount to specify a specific dollar amount to be paid to the account.
- Choose Percent to specify a percentage to be paid to the account.
Example: You receive a net payment of 1000. You want your regular pay allocated between three accounts:
You want 200 to be paid to Account 3, 10% paid to Account 2, and the remaining balance paid to the primary account.
This means you will need three sections under the Regular pay type Payment Election.
- For Account 3, select Amount, then enter 200.
- For Account 2, choose Percent, then enter 10.
- For the primary account, choose Balance. You do not need to type a value here.
Your pay will be distributed among the accounts:
- 200 will be paid to Account 3.
- 100 (10% of 1000) will be paid to Account 2.
- 700 (the remaining balance) will be paid to the primary account.
Yes. The form can be emailed to the Biweekly Payroll Coordinator.
Employment verification requests should go to Employment Verification. Phone: 773.702.1201. Fax: 773.834.1451.
Questions about work study should be directed to Student Employment.
View the Payroll Calendar with biweekly and monthly closing dates. Please note that payroll does not have published deadlines. All transactions that are fully approved by noon on the closing date will be processed.
Your Workday password is your CNetID password. Please go to the Get a New CNet Password / Passphrase page if you need to change your password.
Yes. It is not a requirement for time to be approved for it to pay.
Contact Frances Schwick in the Bursar’s Office by email or at 2-7078.
In Workday, go to the landing page. Click Pay > Payslips > View. Your direct deposit or check information is at the bottom of the pay slip.
Yes. Claiming exempt on the federal W4 form is allowable in Workday.
No. To set up direct deposit in Workday, click Pay > Payment Elections > Add Account.
- Make sure all allocations add up to 100%.
- Complete the banking information and click OK.
No. This should be completed directly in Workday.
Click Pay > Withholding Elections. Indicate the effective date. Enter the withholding information and click OK.
Contact UChicago Time Support.
Yes. Please send paper time cards to Payroll Services at 6054 S. Drexel Ave – 3rd Floor.
No. Former Student Casual payments should be submitted as Period Activity Pay or One-Time payments in Workday.
No. These payments should be submitted as Period Activity Pay or One-Time payments in Workday.
Generally, payroll will close at noon on the Tuesday before Friday payday for biweekly payroll employees, and at noon on the Thursday one week prior to payday for monthly payroll employees.
For pay purposes, the marital status that is listed in the personal information has no bearing on federal and state withholding. Please ensure that your allowances are correct under Pay > Withholding Elections.
Checks are distributed through the Bursar’s Office to the departments. Check in with your HR partner in your department to arrange for check pickup or delivery.