Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 - Enable and Configure Email Settings for a Discussion List
This article explains how to configure a SharePoint discussion list to receive email.
Note: You must be a site owner to perform the actions in this article.
You can perform this procedure to receive email messages in the SharePoint discussion board
Enable and configure e-mail settings for an announcement list
- Browse to the discussion list you wish to configure to receive email.
- Select List Settings from the List Tools Ribbon.
- In the Communications section, click Incoming e-mail settings.
- In the Incoming Email section, select Yes to allow the library to receive email and type in a unique address in the E-mail address box.
- In the E-Mail Attachments section, choose whether you want this list to archive email attachments. If you select No, email attachments will be discarded.
- In the E-Mail Message section, choose whether to save the original email message in this list. If you select Yes, the original message is saved as an attachment.
- In the E-Mail Meeting Invitations section, choose whether to archive meeting invitations in this list that were sent as email messages. If you select Yes, your meeting invitations are archived to the discussion board. Note: Because e-mail handlers are not aware of other lists to which you send e-mail messages, you can send a meeting invitation to the email address of the calendar and the discussion board. This way, the meeting request appears in both the calendar and the discussion board.
- In the E-Mail Security section, choose whether to archive email messages only from members of the site who can write to the library or to archive regardless of who sends the e-mail message.
Important: Archiving e-mail messages from all senders lets everyone write to your library, including unauthenticated users. Because of the potential security risk, you should consider this option carefully before you configure it.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Update the list's description with the new e-mail address.
This step is optional, but is highly recommended so that members of your site can easily find the email address of the list.
- In the General Settings section on the List Settings page, click Title, description and navigation.
- Enter the email address of the list in the Description box.
- Click Save to save the changes.
The email address will now appear below the title of the list in the banner near the top of the page