Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 - Enable and Configure Email Settings for a Document Library
This article describes how a configure a SharePoint document library to receive email.
Note: You must be a site owner to perform the actions described in this article.
You can perform this procedure to save emmail attachments to a SharePoint document library. Each attachment is entered as an item in the document library.
Enable and configure email settings for a document library
- Browse to the document library you wish to configure to receive email.
- Select Library Settings from the Library Tools Ribbon.
- In the Communications section, click Incoming e-mail settings.
- In the Incoming Email section, select Yes to allow the library to receive email and type in a unique address in the Email address box.
- In the E-Mail Attachments section, decide where to save and how to group the email attachments in this library, and then choose whether to overwrite files that have the same name.
Note: If you decide not to overwrite files that have the same name and then later try to save a file that has the same name as one that already exists in the library, four random digits are appended to the file name for the new attachment. If this action fails, a globally unique identifier (GUID) is appended to the file name. If neither of these actions can produce a unique file name, the attachment is discarded.
- In the E-Mail Message section, choose whether to save the original email message in this library. If you select Yes, the original message is saved as a separate item in the library.
- In the E-Mail Security section, choose whether to archive e-mail messages only from members of the site who can write to the library or to archive regardless of who sends the email message.
Important: Archiving email messages from all senders lets everyone write to your library, including unauthenticated users. Because of the potential security risk, you should consider this option carefully before you configure it.
Update the list's description with the new email address
This step is optional, but is highly recommended so that members of your site can easily find the email address of the list.
- In the General Settings section on the List Settings page, click Title, description and navigation.
- Enter the email address of the list in the Description box.
- Click Save to save the changes.
The email address will now appear below the title of the list in the banner near the top of the page