Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 - Create a New Group
This article explains how to create a new SharePoint group.
You must be a site owner or a site collection administrator to create a new group
It is best practice to assign permissions to groups and add users to those groups rather than granting permission directly. If the default groups do not suit your needs, you can create new groups. Often new groups will be created if you want to restrict access a list or library.
Create a New Group
- Click Site Actions and then select Site Permissions.
- Click Create Group.
- On the Create group page, type a name for the group.
- Type a description for the group in the About Me field.
Optionally, change the group owner or add an additional group owner. The owner will always be able to edit group membership.
- Select who can view membership of the group.
- Select who can edit group members.
- Select the appropriate setting for membership requests.
Optionally, select the appropriate permission levels(s) for the group. Any permissions selected here will apply to the entire site. Usually when creating a new group, it is to control access to specific content in the site. If this is the case, all checkboxes should be left unchecked.