Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Modify Navigation Menu (Instructors)
This article explains how instructors can add, edit, and hide left-hand navigation menu items on their Chalk Course Site.
Why customize the left-hand navigation menu?
Instructors and Teaching Assistants can customize the left-hand navigation menu items to organize their Chalk course site and help students easily find course material.
Add a Menu Item
- In edit mode, click the plus button above the left-hand navigation menu
- Select the type of menu item to add to the menu
- Enter a name for the menu item to be displayed in the navigation menu
- Check the box next to Available to Users to make the menu item available to students
- Click Submit
Modify a Menu Item
- Hover your cursor over the menu item you want to modify, click the expand arrow
- To reorder the menu items, hover your cursor over the menu item, move your cursor toward the double-sided arrow, click and drag the menu item in the order you prefer
- To rename: select Rename Link, type the new name in the text box, and click the green checkmark
- To make the link unavailable to students in the course, select Hide Link
- To make the link available to all UChicago guests, select Permit Guests
- To delete the link, which is not recommended, click Delete Link