Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Services & Support > Web Development/Hosting/Resources > UChicago Sites
UChicago Sites - Configuration - Working With Blocks
This article explains how site owners can create blocks in UChicago Sites.
This section is intended for site owners only. Content editors and contributors do not have access to these functions.
This section describes some advanced customization you can apply to your UChicago Site. Because site owners have access to more advanced editing options, it's important to be cautious when making these changes as you have the potential to make more significant site-wide changes.
- Editing Existing Blocks
- Create New Blocks
- Choose Where on a Page and Which Page a Block Appears
- Rearranging the Order of Blocks
- Video Tutorials
"Blocks" are small chunks of reusable content which can appear in the left, right or center column of your website. They can appear on just one page (like the homepage), or on every page of your site.
Some of the blocks you may want to customize include:
- the Getting Started block on your homepage; You can customize this to include a welcome message, or even use it a space to announce upcoming events or initiatives. You can also just remove it entirely if you prefer.
- the Latest news block and mini-block; the mini-block includes a short list of just the titles of the last five news articles you published. You may decide to remove the "Latest news and announcements" block from your homepage and just include the mini block in the right column instead.
- the News archive text block includes a blurb which appears at the top of the news archive page. You can either update this content or remove the block entirely.
If a block's content is editable by you, you'll see a gear icon in the upper right corner with a link that says "Configure block" (see below). Click on that link to start editing a block, or click on the "Edit blocks" link in your toolbar to see a full list of all of the available blocks.
On the "Edit blocks" page, you can select which blocks appear in which "region" of your page. If you click "configure" next to any block, you can specify on which pages a block will appear.
To create new blocks
- Click Edit Blocks in the toolbar.
- Click the Add Block link just above the table of all the blocks.
- Block Title: This is the Title of the block as shown to the user. If you don't want to display a title, enter "<none>".
- Block Description: This is a required description of the block. Use a short but descriptive title so that you can identify the block on the Blocks administration page.
- Block Body: Enter the content. It can be text, a list of links, or an image. The content should be relatively short.
- Click Save Block to save your work. Or continue to the next section to choose which section of the page and on which page(s) the block appears.
Choose Where on a Page and On Which Page(s) a Block Appears
By default new blocks are not displayed until you have chosen which section of the page the block appears.To choose which section of the page the block appears:
- Edit the block.
- Region Settings: Choose which part of the page you want to put the block. You only need to do this for the default theme.
- Homepage center column - the center column on the homepage
- Highlighted - appears above the content, including the center column on the homepage
- First sidebar - appears under the left navigation
- Second sidebar - the right column
- Disabled - blocks that are not in use.
Note: Choose from one of the above options only, even though the drop-down menu list more. Here is a pictorial demonstration of the positions of the blocks on a page.
- Click Save Block if you want your block to appear on every page. Or continue to the next section to choose on which page(s) your block appears.
By default, new blocks will appear on every page, but you can choose to include or exclude them on certain pages.
- Edit the block.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see a section called "Visibility settings" and a tab for "Pages." Under the heading Show block on specific pages, choose either "All pages except those listed" or "Only the listed pages" and specify the appropriate list of pages in the text box. Examples:
- If you want the block to appear in all pages in your site. Choose "All pages except those listed" and leave the text box blank.
- If you want the block to appear in all pages except the homepage and the Sample Content page, choose "All pages except those listed", and enter <front> and page/sample-content as separate lines in the text box.
- If you want the block to appear only on the homepage and the Sample Content page, choose "Only the listed pages", and enter <front> and page/sample-content as separate lines in the text box.
You can change the order the blocks. Note that the change applies to all the pages in which the blocks are included.
- Click the Edit blocks link in the toolbar.
- Drag-and-drop the blocks to arrange them. Example, to reverse the order of the "Calendar list widget" and "View: News: Latest news mini block", and put the "Calendar" below the "Latest news" block, drag one of them to the new position.
- Click Save Blocks at the bottom of the page.