Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Accounts, Identity, & Security > Security
Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Applications, Operating Systems, & Devices > Applications
Office 2013 - Encrypting Files with Password Protection
This article explains how to encrypt and add a password to files in Microsoft Office 2013. The process is consistent across the core Office suite (Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013 etc.). The example uses Word 2013.
- Click File
- From the Info tab, select Protect Document > Encrypt with Password
- The Encrypt Document dialog window appears. Type in a strong password and then select OK.
- Re-enter your desired password in the Confirm password window and click OK
- The Info shows the new required permissions.
Removing a Password
- Repeat steps 1-2 of setting a password.
- Select and highlight all contents in the Encrypt Document window, and press Delete.
- The Info shows the removal of permissions, indicating the document is not protected.
Note: for shared documents; explore the Restrict Editing features under Protect Document.