Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Accounts, Identity, & Security > Security
Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Applications, Operating Systems, & Devices > Applications
Office 2010 - Encrypting Files with Password Protection
This article explains how to encrypt and add a password to files in Microsoft Office 2010. The process is consistent across the core Office suite (Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 etc.). The example uses Excel 2010.
- Click File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password
- The Encrypt Document dialog window appears. Type in a strong password and then select OK.
- Re-enter your desired password in the Confirm password window and click OK.
- The Info shows the new required permissions.
Removing a Password
- Repeat step 1 of setting a password.
- Select and highlight all contents in the Encrypt Document window, and press Delete.
- The Info shows the removal of permissions, indicating the document is not protected.
Note: this method does not permit protection with shared documents; the old Office 2007 method needs to be used in those circumstances. Follow instructions detailed in Office 2007 - Encrypting Files with Password Protection.