Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Create an Announcement (Instructors)
This article explains how to create an announcement in Chalk including adding announcement information, web announcement options and course link.
Why create an announcement?
Announcements are a good way to keep students updated about course information. Announcements will appear on the Chalk Dashboard, in the announcements area, and potentially the Course Home Page about last minute changes, new course materials, or to provide the class with a welcome message. Announcements can be created in advance and set to release on a certain date and time.
Create an Announcement
- In edit mode , click Announcements in the left-hand navigation menu
- Click Create Announcement
- Complete the Announcement Information section by entering the subject line and announcement message. Use the text editor to add web links, images and format the text.
- Select Not Date Restricted to make the announcement live after you submit the announcement. For an announcement to go live at a future date and time, select Date restricted and use select date restrictions options to choose a time for the announcement to go live.
- If the announcement is to notify students of a recent upload of course material, you can link to the material using the optional Course Link to browse in your course for the file.
- Click Submit.
The announcement appears in the Announcement area of the Chalk course site along with the Dashboard area in Chalk. If you are using the new template (that became available on September 19th, 2013), the announcement will also appear in the Course Home Page announcement module.