Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Self and Peer Assessment Creation (Instructors)
This article explains how instructors create a Self and Peer Assessment in Chalk.
Why use Self and Peer Assessments?
The Self and Peer Assessment tool is a feature available in Chalk designed to promote reflective learning as students evaluate their own work or the work of their peers. Students will receive feedback that may provide valuable insight into their own efforts Instructors may award participation points for the self-reflection, thus allowing students to contribute toward their final course grade.
Create a Self and Peer Assessment
- Locate the content area where the Self and Peer Assessment will appear. Students will access this content area to complete and submit the assessment.
- In the Assessments tab, select Self and Peer Assessment.
- Click the New option. Or, click Import (if the assessment has already been created).
- Enter the Name and Description for the Assessment.
- Select the Submission Dates by clicking the Date button. Optional Step: Click the Clock to set the time for the submission. Beginning on this date and time (until the end date is reached), students can submit their responses to the assessment questions. Note: The Submission Dates MUST precede the Evaluation Date.
- Select the Evaluation Dates by clicking the Date button. Optional Step: Click the Clock to set the time for the evaluation. Beginning on this date and time (until the end date is reached), students can evaluate their peers based on the assessment questions. Note: The Evaluation Dates MUST be after the Submission Date.
Optional Step: Select Yes or No to allow the following settings: Anonymous Evaluation, Self Evaluation or Show Evaluation Results.
Note: If Anonymous Evaluation is selected, the student's name will not be shown. Instead, User 1, User 2, etc. will be inserted as the student's name.
Optional Step: Enter the number of submissions each student must evaluate. If the assessment is a self-evaluation, enter 0 as the number of submissions to evaluate.
Optional Step: Select the Due Date by clicking the Date button. Optional Step: Click the Clock to set the time due. Beginning on this date and time, students can submit their evaluations, but they will be marked late if submitted after this date.
- Select Yes or No to make the assessment available immediately.
Optional Step: Click the Date button to allow the assessment to set the Start and End Date for the assessment to be available to all students.
- Click the Submit button to create the new Self or Peer Assessment.
Add Assessment and Peer Evaluation Questions
- Select the Create Question button.
- Enter the Evaluation Question.
Optional Step: Enter a Model Response. Note: The Model Response is shown to the evaluator as a sample response.
Optional Step: Select Yes or No to allow the question to be available.
- Click the Submit button.
- Locate the new question, select the drop-down arrow.
- Select Criteria.
- Select the Create Criteria button.
- Enter the Criteria that the peer evaluator will consider when rating the student's assessment.
- Enter the points in the Points Possible textbox and indicate if All Credit or Partial Credit should be considered. Note: All or Nothing suggests that all the criteria must be present to receive full credit and partial credit is NOT possible.
Optional Step: Select Yes or No to allow the peer evaluator to provide feedback and/or an explanation for the points awarded.
- Click the Submit button.
- Continue to add Questions and Criteria until the entire Self and Peer Assessment is complete.