Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Applications, Operating Systems, & Devices > Devices
vDesk - Installing the client
This article explains how to install the VMware Horizon Client on a Windows or OS X computer.
Installing the VMware Horizon View Client on a Windows Computer:
- Download the appropriate installer:
- Run the executable once it has downloaded.
- From the first window, continue to click Next and accept the license terms until you get to the Custom Setup window.
- You should install the components shown here to the default install path shown at the bottom of the window. If for some reason you need to change the install path or components, you can do so here.
- Specify the connection server as vdesk.uchicago.edu and click Next.
- If your computer is joined to the UCAD domain, check the box Show in connection dialog and click Next.
- Select which shortcuts to create (if any) and click Next.
- Click Install.
- Select Finish when installer has completed.
- Please restart your computer to complete the installation.
Installing the VMware Horizon Client on an Apple Computer:
- Download the installer from here: VMware Horizon Client for Mac
- Open the dmg file. Accept the license agreement, and copy the VMware View client to your Applications folder.
- Double-click on VMware View Client under Applications, and then click Open when prompted with a security warning.
- Click the cloud with the plus sign to add a server.
- Specify the connection server as vdesk.uchicago.edu and select Continue.
- Log in with your CNetID and CNet password, and select Continue to ensure connectivity.
- Click the appropriate vdesk image to launch the virtual machine.
Note: By default, VMWare Horizon uses PCoIP. Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection must be installed in order to use the alternate RDP VMware connection.