Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Add an Item or File to Your Site (Instructors)
This article explains how to insert files using Create Item instead of Create File.
Why use Create Item?
The Create Item option is an alternative to the Create File option, since this option may not display properly for Mac users. The recommendation is to insert any file, text, image, or link in a content area or folder using the Create Item option. A collection of files or entire lesson can be developed outside of Chalk and uploaded using this option.
Add a Course Item
- Navigate to page or folder where the new content is to be inserted.
- Under the Build Content tab, click Item.
- Enter the Name and Description for the content item.
Note: The Description can be typed into the Textbox or pasted from a text editor (like Notepad). Pasting from Word is NOT recommended. A link may also be pasted in this textbox using the Hyperlink icon on the toolbar.
- Click the Browse My Computer button (selects a file from your local drive) OR click the Browse Course button (selects a file that already exists in the course).
Optional Step: Select No for the Permit Users to View this Content option. This will NOT allow the content to be visible to students. OR click the Date button to allow the content item to be available to students at a future date.
- Click the Submit button to display the new content item.