Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring > Outlook 2011 for Mac
xMail - Outlook 2011 for Mac Calendar FAQs
This article answers some frequently asked questions about using xMail with Outlook 2011 for Mac.
In Outlook 2011 for Mac, one can easily copy an appointment (an event with no other invitees) from one account to another. To do so, simply drag the appointment onto the calendar of your choice on the panel at the left. To copy a meeting (an event which people other than you are attending) from one account to another, select the meeting in your calendar and click Forward at the top of the screen. Send it to the account you would like to copy the meeting to, and then accept the invitation in the second account.
You probably have Hide On My Computer folders selected. Follow these instructions to change this setting.
- Click the Outlook menu at the top of the screen and open Preferences.
- Click General.
- Uncheck Hide On My Computer folders.
When you are creating your meeting, click the address book button to the right of the To: field. Search for the room you would like to request, select it, and click Resource. This will add the room to the Location field as well as the To field.
How do I control what information people can see about me? Can I prevent them from seeing my free/busy times?
This can be controlled by setting permissions on your calendar.
- While viewing your calendar, click Permissions in the Home tab.
- Select Default from the list at the top. Altering these permissions will change what people with whom you have not shared your calendar can see. Select the level of permissions you would like from the Permission Level: drop down menu.
- It is recommended that you keep their permissions set to Free/Busy time, which will allow them to see when you are busy if they try to invite you to a meeting, but will not allow them to see your calendar, or what you are doing when you are busy. However, if you do not want even this information available, then select None.
I want to let people know I'm busy when they look at my calendar, but I want to keep the contents of a specific meeting hidden. Is this possible?
Yes. Either select the meeting and click Private at the top of the window, or right-click on the meeting and click Private. This will conceal the contents of the meeting, including its title, without hiding the fact that you are busy during that time.