Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring > Outlook 2011 for Mac
Outlook 2011 for Mac - Add a Delegate to Your xMail Account
This article explains how to add a delegate to your xMail account using Outlook 2011 for Mac.
If you have an Exchange email account (commonly referred to as xMail), you can allow another xMail user to send email messages on your behalf. To do so, you must add that user as a delegate to your mailbox. You can give a delegate different permissions for different folders, which allows you to control access to items in your Exchange mailbox.
Note: You should make another user a delegate only if you want that user to be able to send email on your behalf. If you only want to allow a user to view the contents of a folder without being able to respond on your behalf, do not make that user a delegate.
- At the top, select the Tools drop-down menu and then click Accounts.
- Select the account you want to add a delegate for and click Advanced...
- Switch to the Delegates tab and click the first +.
- Select the xMail users you wish to add as delegates by searching the Global Address List. When you've finished selecting users, click OK.
- In the Delegate Permissions dialog box, set permissions for the users you have selected. If you add just one user, the settings you choose will control the permissions for that user. If you add multiple delegates at the same time, the settings you choose will control the permissions for all of those delegates. By default, Outlook gives delegates Editor permissions for Calendar and Tasks, so in order for the delegate to send email on your behalf, select the appropriate permissions level next to Inbox. Editors have the ability to read, create, and modify items.
- Confirm the settings by clicking OK. You will return to the Delegates tab under Advanced for your account. Here you can modify permissions for a delegate by selecting their name in the list, and clicking the gear. Click OK when you are done adding delegates.
Your delegate will have to add you to their list of "People I am a delegate for" before they can act as a delegate for you. This list can be found on the Delegates tab after following steps 1 and 2 above.