Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring
xMail - Configure IMAP for Thunderbird 24 (Mac)
This article explains how to configure the Thunderbird mail client for Mac using IMAP with xMail.
These instructions were written with Thunderbird 16.0 in mind. They assume that you have just installed Thunderbird and have not configured anything yet. To get started, open Thunderbird.
- Thunderbird will ask if you wish to make it the default application for email. Click OK when you are finished.
- Next it will offer you a new email address. Click Skip this and use my existing email.
- Enter your full name in the Your Name field, your CNetID@uchicago.edu in the Email address field and your password in the Password field, then click Continue.
- Thunderbird will display a message saying it has "failed to find the settings for your email account" and provide you with the manual configuration options.
- Fill these out as follows:
- Incoming: IMAP Server Hostname: xmail.uchicago.edu Port: 993 SSL SSL/TLS Authentication: Normal Password
- Incoming: SMTP Server Hostname: authsmtp.uchicago.edu Port: 465 SSL SSL/TLS Authentication:Normal Password
- Click Done. Thunderbird is now configured to receive your emails via IMAP.