Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring > G Suite
G Suite - Importing Contacts and Emails
This article explains how to import your contacts and emails into your Google account from a variety of mailboxes.
Importing contacts and emails from another mailbox by POP
You can import messages and contacts from any external account that supports POP access. First you will need to enable POP access in the settings section of your external account. Then, follow the steps below to import messages.
- Click Settings in the upper-right-hand corner of the mail page, then click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- In the POP Download section, click Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded).
- In the When messages are accessed with POP option, select keep CNetID@uchicago.edu Mail's copy in the Inbox.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Under Settings, click Accounts.
- In the Get mail from other accounts section, click Add a mail account you own.
- Enter the full email address of the external account to get mail from, then click Next Step.
- Supply the mail settings for the external account including the username and password that you use to log in. Keep the default settings for POP server, port and the SSL connection, then click Add Account.
- You will see the option to send mail from your new account using the email address of your external account. Click Finish.
- The process of fetching your messages can take several hours. Move any messages stored in personal folders to your Inbox after all messages in your Inbox have been transferred.
- You can disable the POP settings in both accounts after your messages have been successfully migrated.
Transferring POP mail from an Outlook mailbox
- Highlight an individual folder to be migrated under All Mail Folders; do not highlight the Personal Folders level
- Choose Rules and Alerts... under Tools
- On the E-mail Rules tab, click New Rule
- Choose the Start from a blank rule radio button
- Choose to check messages when they arrive and press Next
- Press Next again, and press Yes when it warns you that the rule will apply to all messages that you receive
- Check forward it to people or distribution list
- Click people or distribution list under Step 2
- Choose New... under Advanced
- Choose New contact and press OK
- Input your full name and your CNetID@uchicago.edu into the appropriate fields
- Press Save and close
- Select the entry that you added from the list of contacts
- Press OK
- Press Next, then press Next again to bypass the exceptions
- Check Run this rule now on messages already in [Selected Folder]
- Press Finish, then press Apply, then OK
Transferring POP mail from an Outlook Express mailbox
- Choose Mail... from the Message Rules submenu under Tools
- In box 1, Select the Conditions for your rule, check Where the message size is more than size
- In box 2, Select the Actions for your rule, check Forward it to people
- In box 3, Rule Description click size and set the minimum size to 0 KB, then press OK
- In box 3, Rule Description click people and input your CNetID@uchicago.edu, then press OK
- Press OK
- Press the Apply Now... button
- Press Browse... and select Local Folders, then press OK
- Select the new rule you had just created, and press Apply Now
Transferring POP mail from an Apple Mail mailbox
- Choose Preferences... under the Mail menu
- Click to the Rules tab
- Click Add Rule
- Change From in the drop-down menu to Every Message
- Change Move Message in the drop-down menu to Forward Message
- Input your CNetID@uchicago.edu email address
- Click OK
- Click Yes to run the rule on messages in your local folders