Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Event Calendar
UChicago Events - Troubleshooting FAQ
This article explains frequently asked questions and how to troubleshoot specific issues users may be having at UChicago Events.
I'm not a calendar administrator, but I need to edit my event.
You can make edits for public submission users. Follow these instructions:
- Log in to cal admin: https://event.uchicago.edu/caladmin
- Search for the event by title in the search box. (You may need to change the date range in the radio buttons.)
- Once you locate the event in question, click on it.
- Click on Edit event.
- Once you've made the edit, click on Update event.
- You will see a yellow bar at the top of your screen that says, Event updated.
Help! I can't see my event.
When a user can't see his/her event, the first question you may want to ask is how long ago was it submitted and where was it submitted. If it was submitted by a calendar administrator in the cal admin website within the past hour, it's possible it just hasn't shown up on the live calendar yet (and may be visible in the calendar admin interface). If this is the case, you might tell the user to call back the next day if it still isn't showing up.
Another possibility is that the user hasn't updated his or her web browser cache.
If it's been more than a few hours and the event still isn't showing up, you then might check the Main Campus Pending queue to see if it's waiting to be published. You can go to this queue by:
- Clicking on the Users tab.
- Changing your group to Main Campus.
- Selecting the Pending Events tab.
- All unpublished events from the public submission form will appear here. You can then review the event and publish it.
If you're still unable to figure out why the event isn't being published, you can assign this incident to Web Services.
I want to feature my event on the homepage. How do I do that?
To have events featured on the homepage, users will first want to make sure their titles follow our guidelines for featured events. Once the events meet our guidelines, they will simply want to select the category "Proposed featured events," and we will then choose their events for the homepage. It's important for users to understand that they need to be selective about proposing events; we don't have room to possibly feature every event, so only propose those events that are worthy.
What does this error mean?
Occasionally you'll see this error on UChicago Events when you're trying to edit an event. Unfortunately, that means your edit did not get processed and you will have to do it again.
How do I submit an event if I'm not a calendar admin?
Here are instructions for submitting events to UChicago Events
- Go to https://event.uchicago.edu/maincampus/
- Check UChicago Events to see if your event is already being displayed. It's possible someone else has already entered it.
- If your event isn't already on UChicago Events, click on Submit an event.
- Log in with your CNetID and password.
- Follow online instructions for submitting an event.
- Please Note: If the user manages a department calendar, he/she should add events at cal admin (https://event.uchicago.edu/caladmin/) and should NOT use this public submission form.
How do I attach an image to an event?
It is now possible to attach an image to an event through the add/edit form in the Calendar Admin. To do so you have two options: (A) If you already have the image on your website, you can simply enter its URL in the "Image URL" field. (B) You can upload an image by clicking the Choose File button and then selecting the image on your system.
What size should attached images be?
Any attached images will scale to a width of 220 pixels while preserving the aspect ratio in height. Uploaded images are limited to a size of 100k and can be in the JPG, PNG, or GIF format.
How do I link to an event?
To link to an event on UChicago Events, you'll need to use the event's permalink. To find it, navigate to the event on UChicago Events, then look for the "Permalink" link near the bottom of the event details. If you right-click on the link, your browser should display a "Copy link" option in the context menu.
Can I moderate or block events someone else is sharing with my calendar?
A calendar owner can either block or accept all shared events; there is no way to choose which events to accept. By default, your calendar will accept all shared events from other users’ calendars.
Sharing is controlled in the event by the event owner. Event owners are reminded to obtain permission from calendar owners before sharing an event with another calendar. If you do not want a particular event on your calendar, you will need to arrange with the event owner to remove sharing.
If you decide to remove your calendar from the list of those available to be shared with, please send a request to email@example.com.