Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 - Template Site Anatomy
This article describes the features of a standard SharePoint template site. Below is an image of the default site. Your site administrator will most likely customize the site to better suit the needs of your department so it's likely that your site will look a little different from the default template displayed here. You may click the image to open a larger version in a new window.
- Top Link Bar - By default this will show all sites within your site collection. When a site administrator creates a new sub site they have the ability to display a tab for the site. Additionally they can choose to either use the same navigation links on the subsite or to create a new top link bar. To simplify navigation and avoid confusion it's generally recommended to use the same top link bar for all sites within a site collection. The site administrator can also customize the tabs that appear by selecting Site Actions > Site Settings > Top link bar.
- Quick Launch - While the top link bar typically provides links for sites within the site collection, the quick launch will provide links to content within the site. When new lists, libraries, pages, etc. are added to a site a new link will automatically be added to the quick launch unless the administrator chooses not to display the new content. A site administrator also has the ability to customize the links that appear in the quick launch by selecting Site Actions > Site Settings > Quick launch.
- Welcome text/image - This area of the page is reserved to provide welcome text and an image for your site. The area is divided into two sections. The left section is meant to contain a brief title and description of the site and the right section can contain an image. A site administrator can edit both sections by selecting Site Actions > Edit Page. For convenience several images have been saved to the site assets library. You will notice that there is not a link to the site assets library on the quick launch, but it can be accessed by selecting the All Site Content link under the quick launch. Alternatively a new image can be uploaded to the site assets library and used in place of one of the standard images. For best results, use an image that is not more than 220 px wide.
- Recent Documents - This is a customized document library web part that has been configured to show the last 10 modified documents in the Shared Documents library.
- My Tasks - This is a customized tasks web part that has been configured to show only tasks that have been assigned to you. You may also view tasks for all users by ether clicking the Tasks link in the quick launch or the My Tasks header above the web part.
- Team Discussion - This is a standard discussion board web part that shows recent discussions in the team discussion board. The discussion board provides a forum for site members to discuss important and useful topics with each other. The discussion is organized in a threaded view so that replies to topics are easily viewable. As with any list you can subscribe to alerts so that you are notified when a new discussion topic has been created, or when existing topics have been replied to.
- Site Administrators - This is a customized Site Users web part that has been configured to show members of the site owners group. This web part is provided as a convenience for site members that have a question about the site. The site administrators are responsible for providing access to their site and for updating content on the site. To view contact information for the individual site administrators, just click their name and a new window will open with the information.
- Helpful Links - This is a standard links list that displays items in the links list. Initially the list contains links to some recommended web sites with helpful information about SharePoint. As with any list the contents can be edited by and site member with the appropriate permission. To add additional links, or to modify the existing links, visit the links list which can be accessed from the All Site Content page.