Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > SharePoint 2010
SharePoint 2010 - Administrators Quick Reference Guide
This article explains common functions that site administrators must perform in SharePoint 2010.
Add a New Web page/Sub site
- Site Actions > New Site. Select a template (e.g. Document Workspace). If you choose a team site you can enter text and format it like on a Word Processor when in Edit Page mode).
- Give the page a title and a short web address
- Click More Options. Enter a description if you like.
Choose whether to Display this site on the Quick Launch of the parent site. Select to use the same permissions as the parent site or to use unique permissions.
If you use unique permissions, a new window will open and an Owners and a Members group will be generated for your new site. You can add members to these groups or create new groups then add members.
Update the Site Title, URL
- Site Actions > Site Settings > Title, Description, and Icon under Look & Feel
Create Custom Permissions for Sub site
- Site Actions > Site Permissions
- Stop Inheriting Permissions
- Modify permissions as required
Remove Users from a group
- Site Actions > Site Settings > People and Groups
- Click on the group you want to modify to open it.
- Check the user you want to delete from the group. Actions > Remove Users from group
Give Unique Permissions to the Document Library or a List (Calendar, Contacts, Wiki, Discussion)
- Navigate to the Document Library > Library (or List) tab > Library (or List) Permissions > Stop Inheriting Permissions
Check Permissions for a User or Group
- Site Actions > Site Permissions > Check Permissions
- Enter the name or the User/Group > Check Now
Customize a Document Library to Allow New Folders/ Search visibility/ Change Document Template
- Navigate to Document Library > Library tab > Library Settings > Advanced Settings
Require document approval, versions, checkout
- Navigate to the Documents Library > Library tab > Library Settings > Versioning Settings
Set and Manage Alerts for Yourself or Others
- Alert changes to specific document: Navigate to the Document > Document Pull down (to the right of the document name) > Alert Me
- Alert when new items added to a library: Navigate to the Library > Library tab > Alert Me > Set alert on this library > New items added
- Manage Alerts for yourself: Click the pull-down beside your name (Top right) > My Settings > My Alerts
- Manage Alerts for others: Site Actions > Site Settings > User Alerts (Under Administration) Click the pull-down to display alerts for another user. Select the user, check the alert.
Create a New Document Library
- Site Actions > New Document Library
Modify the Quick Launch Bar
- Site Actions > Site Settings > Quick Launch (under Look and Feel)
Modify the Top Link bar
- Site Actions > Site Settings > Top link bar (under Look and Feel)
Edit the Page and Modify or Add a Shared Web Part
- Site Actions > Edit Page or click on a web part > Edit web part (Dotted lines show web part being edited)
- Drag Web Parts to rearrange
- Delete or close a web part
- Add a Web Part
Create and Edit a Contact List
- To Create: Site Actions > More Options > Contacts
- Edit Columns: Navigate to the contact list > List tab > List Settings. Click on a column to delete it. Click Create Column to add a new column.
Delete a Library (or list)
- Navigate to the library (or list) > Library (or list) tab > Library (or list) Settings > Delete this Document Library (or list)
Delete a Sub site
- Navigate to the parent site > Site Actions > Site Settings > Sites & workspaces (under Site Administration)
- Select X to delete the sub site. Warning! Check which site you are deleting!!