Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > VPN (cVPN)
VPN - Step-by-step Installation Guide for Macintosh
This article explains how to manually install Cisco AnyConnect, the University's cVPN tool, on Macintosh computers.
How to install Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client manually on Mac OS
Before trying to run AnyConnect, Java must be installed and running on your computer. To enable Java, go to Finder > Go > Utilities > Java Preferences to trigger the install.
Note: Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and 10.9 (Mavericks) require you to disable "Gatekeeper." Instructions for disabling Gatekeeper are available here.
Note: Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) is not yet supported by the automatic installer at http://cvpn.uchicago.edu. However, you could obtain the VPN software by following the directions here.
Mac OS X
- Point your browser to http://cvpn.uchicago.edu. We highly recommend using Firefox rather than Safari as your browser.
- Log in with your CNetID and Password.
- The file will mount a disk image named "AnyConnect <version number>" Open this disk image and launch the file named "AnyConnect.pkg."
- On the "Install vpnclient" window, you will be prompted by the message: "This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed..." Click Continue.
- On the following screen titled "Welcome to the vpnclient Installer", click Continue again.
- When presented with the software license agreement, click Continue then click Agree on the slide-down menu.
- On the window titled "Standard Install...", click Install and enter your computer username and password when prompted. (NOTE: the user must be an administrator of the machine to install).
- When the installation has completed, click Close.
- Cisco AnyConnect can be found in the Cisco folder located in the Application folder.
- Navigate to /Applications/Cisco/ and open "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client".
- In the "Connect to:" field, enter "cvpn.uchicago.edu" and click Select.
- Enter your CNetID username and password then click Connect.
- Upon successful connection, Cisco AnyConnect will minimize itself and you will see the AnyConnect logo with a small lock in your menu bar just to the left of the time.
Connecting after the program is installed
To connect to the cVPN
- Go to your Applications folder, then go to the Cisco folder, and then open the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client program.
- In the box labeled Connect to, put cvpn.uchicago.edu.
Press the Select button if it is visible.
- In the box labeled Username, put your CNet username (lowercase, no "@uchicago.edu").
- In the box labeled Password, put your CNet password.
- Press the Connect button.
When done with the VPN, quit the Cisco AnyConnect program or press the Disconnect button.