Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Conferencing > Web Conferencing
This article explains centrally-provided web conferencing services for the University.
There are general choices are available for web conferencing: WebEx. See https://itservices.uchicago.edu/services/web-conferencing for a description of these options. You may view this chart highlighting features of WebEx.
You can manage your audio, web, and video services by logging into your WebEx.com site:
Setting Up Your Account
You must have a FAS account to set up a web conferencing account. You generally do not need to create a new account if you already have an audio conferencing account as this is customarily set up in tandem. There is no charge for the service if it is not used. To create a new account:
- Click here to complete the order form
- Web: Cisco WebEx
Setting Up a Conference
Once you have a conferencing account, you can manage your conferences on the WebEx.com site your account was created under:
Attendees can join a WebEx meeting before the host joins for scheduled meetings; attendees can also join the audio as well prior to the host joining for scheduled meetings only. If do not have a meeting scheduled and starting a quick meeting via your personal meeting room, the host must start the conference before additional participants can join.
For videos, tutorials, and additional learning tools, go to http://help.webex.com
Applications for one-click access to web and audio conference calls are available for smartphone users. Follow the links to download the free application.
- Mobile Assistant for iPhone
- Mobile Assistant for Blackberry and Windows Mobile
- Mobile Assistant for Android devices
Note: There is one way a WebEx call can be started from a mobile device.
Using the WebEx app
- Download the WebEx app from the app store
- Enter your login information
- Start a meeting by clicking the "+" in the top right corner of the screen
- Click enter personal room
- Connect audio by clicking the dial in number under the "info" tab
- Once you click it, your device should automatically dial the number and connect you to the meeting.
Additional participants can join by just calling the dial-in number and the meeting room access code. In order for a meeting to be started from a mobile device the WebEx app must be downloaded and the host must open up their personal meeting room or begin their schedule meeting from the app to initiate the meeting.