Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Services & Support > Web Development/Hosting/Resources > UChicago Sites
UChicago Sites - Content - Creating Directories
This article explains how to create a formatted directory of people using UChicago Sites.
You can create directories of people using your UChicago Site, and display them in one of three formats:
- Full directories include a large image and take the full width of the page.
- Compact directories include a smaller image and may be better to suited to directories with a large number of entries. Tip: If you're using the compact view, try leaving the short biography blank for a cleaner look.
- The table view displays only the name, title, and contact information for each entry with links to detail pages.
Create a New Directory
- Sign in to your UChicago Site.
- Click on the Add content link in your toolbar.
- In the "Directory entry" section of the page, click on the link to create a new directory here.
- Click Add term.
- On the page that follows, give your directory a name and a description.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen. Look for the green confirmation message at the top of the page. Close the window. You are now ready to add entries to your directory.
Create a New Directory Entry
- Click the Add content link in your toolbar.
- Click the "Directory entry" link.
- Fill in the information. All of the information you enter will be displayed on the directory page except for the full biography which will be displayed on a detail page for each entry. If you do not include a full biography in an entry, that entry will not include links to a detail page. After you save an entry, you are presented with the detail page for that entry.
- Repeat steps 1-2 to create additional directory entries.
View all of Your Directories
- To view a list of all the directories you have created, click the Add content link in your toolbar, then click view all of your directories here in the "Directory entry" section.
- Alternately, you can type "https://<yoursite>.uchicago.edu/directories" into the web address field of your browser to access this page directly.
- You will also see a link to View all of your directories on the detail page for each directory entry.
- On the directory list page, you will find links which allow you to view your directories in each of the three different formats – full, compact, and table view.
Making Your Directory Visible
When you decide which format is appropriate for your directory, you can make it visible to visitors of your site by adding a link in your navigation.
- On the directory list page ( "https://<yoursite>.uchicago.edu/directories"), click the directory format you would like to display on your site.
- Copy the path for that page (everything after https://<yoursite>.uchicago.edu/ in the page’s web address).
- Then edit your left navigation by adding a new item with a link to the path you copied.
You can change the directory view on your site at any time: the links for full, compact, or table view are always available for reference on the directory list page.
Related Video Tutorials
Editing Your Homepage, Footer, and Left Navigation
- Customizing Your Homepage [3:25]
- How to Create a Homepage Feature [3:20]
- How to Create a Homepage Mini-Feature [6:20]
- Editing Your Footer [3:52]
- Editing the Left Navigation [4:30]
Creating Pages, Image Galleries, and News Articles
- How to Create a Basic Page [6:40]
- How to Create an Image Gallery [5:45]
- How to Create a News Article [8:15]
- How to Create a News Category [2:35]
- How to Create Directories [11:32]