Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Grades - All Things Grade Center
This article is a collection of tutorials for the Grade Center in Chalk 9.1.
More than just a record-keeping system, the Chalk Grade Center is a very useful tool for managing student grades for all course activities and assignments. The Grade Center is set up much like an Excel spreadsheet and allows instructors to track student progress, download electronic assignments, provide feedback, and create reports, just to name a few. Additionally, the Grade Center provides interactive functionality making it one of the more robust tools in Chalk. We highly recommend that all instructors attend our face-to-face training session devoted to the Grade Center. However, below is a sampling of many Grade Center features that you can either read or watch in short movie clips.
Grade Center Basics
- Getting Started (Overview) - Read it!
- Anonymous Grading - Read it! -Watch It! (2:07)
- Viewing Attempts in the Grade Center - Read it!
- Viewing Grade Details - Watch it! (2:09)
- Adding Voice Comments to Grade Submissions - Read it!
- Grading Question by Question - Watch it! (1:58)
- Grading Assignments (electronic papers - replaces Digital Drop Box)
Grade Center Interactive Rubrics
- Creating a Grading Rubric - Watch it! (3:10)
- Associating a Rubric with a Grade Center Item - Watch it! (3:11)
- Interactive Grading using the Rubric - Watch it! (3:17)
Advanced Grade Center
- Create Categories - Watch it! (2:04)
- Weighting of Grades - Watch it! (3:33)
- Adding an Average or Minimum/Maximum Column - (coming soon)
Customizing the Grade Center
- Customizing the Grade Center View - Watch it! (1:39)
- Smart Views - Watch it! (3:12)
- Creating a Grade Rule -Watch it! (1:50)
- Creating Grading Notes - Watch it! (1:24)
- Color Coding Grade Center Columns - Watch it! (2:34)
Grade Center Reports
- Creating a Grade Center Report - Watch it! (2:43)
- Download/Upload Grade Center - Watch it! (3:30)
- Viewing and Downloading Grade History - Read it! - Watch it! (1:17)
- Early Warning System - Watch it! (1:50)