Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > Wireless
Wireless - Guest Network Sponsor Information
|The guest wireless system will be updated on 9/9/15 and the article below will become obsolete. To view the updated version of this article, please visit the link displayed.|
This article provides Guest Network Sponsors with instructions in order to provide guest users with access to the campus network.
Updated Version: Wireless - Guest Network Sponsor Information
The Guest Network allows faculty and full-time staff to sponsor guests on the wireless network by creating temporary accounts they may use for up to two weeks. Guests are given access to a network independent from campus resources, providing guests with convenient Wi-Fi access to surf the web and check their mail while on campus. If your guest requires access to any secure campus resources, please consider contacting your departmental Trusted Agent. Sponsorship is not available at this time to students, medical center employees, or part-time staff of the university.
Setting up a guest
- Go to the Guest Network Sponsor Portal, http://uchicago-guest.uchicago.edu
- Click the Staff/Faculty Sponsor Login button
- Beneath the Sponsor Agreement, check box beside "Accept Agreement" and click the Accept button.
- Enter your CNetID and password.
- If you have not logged in before, click Settings Customization and set your email and time zone. Check the Receive Email Confirmation box, save the settings, and return Home.
- Beneath Getting Started, click Create Guest Account in the right frame.
- Enter the required information. The login ID will be their fully-qualified email address entered here.
- Click Submit.
- Click the Email button to send the client their account information via email. You will receive a copy of the email to the address recording in your settings and can also print the details directly from this page if a guest is already on-site.
- Confirm that they received the information and understand the service. An article which includes instructions outlining the access and acceptable use of the Guest Network written for University of Chicago guests can be found here.
Support for the Sponsor and limited support for Guests are available through the ITS Service Desk. They can be reached by phone at 2-5800 (773-702-5800), email at email@example.com, or at the TECHB@R on the first floor of Regenstein Library during scheduled hours.
The program is governed by the following policies to which Sponsor and Guests must agree.
- Sponsor Agreement
The Guest Wireless Network is available exclusively to enrich your role in fulfilling the mission of the University. The University provides guest network access on good faith that guests will not engage in any illegal or abusive actions while using the Guest Network.
As a sponsor, you are responsible for the following:
- Evaluate the needs of your guest to determine whether the Guest Wireless Network is the appropriate solution. (Guests who need additional access should be referred to your area's Trusted Agent http://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/trusted-agents-list for a larger suite of services)
- Replace Guest Wireless Network credentials for your guests who require additional access time.
- Deactivate guests if they depart campus early.
- Familiarize yourself with the Guest Network Policy immediately below so that you can make good decisions about providing Guest Network access, and can assist your guests if they are unclear about their responsibilities and risks.
- Guest Agreement
- The Guest Wireless Network is NOT SECURE and confidentiality is not guaranteed. Use at your own risk.
- Access to the Guest Network may be permanently revoked in cases involving illegal activity, including but not limited to child pornography, threats, harassment, copyright infringement, defamation, theft, and unauthorized access.
- You may not use the Guest Network to engage in conduct which interferes with others' use of guest network and/or the activities of other users. If your use is excessive, your Guest Network access may be closed without notification.
- The University of Chicago reserves the right to revoke access to the Guest Wireless Network at any time without notification.
The University provides guest network access on good faith that guests will not engage in any illegal or abusive actions while using the Guest Network.