Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Use Audio Tools in Any Content Area (Instructors)
This article explains how instructors can record audio using wimba voice tools in any content area or text box within Chalk.
Wimba Voice Authoring is a suite of tools built directly into Chalk that allows an instructor to quickly record short audio clips and embed them into:
- Voice Board
- Email Communications
- Quick Comments in the Grade Center
- Any Content Area
- Website Presentations
Note: a USB headset with microphone is recommended to use this feature.
Use Voice Tools in Any Content Area in Your Chalk Course Site
When an instructor uploads content into their Chalk course site, they now have the opportunity to add their voice recordings within any text box. Great uses of this feature would be listening exercises or basic assignment instructions.
- In your Chalk course site, navigate to a content area where you want to place an audio item.
- Select Build Content then Create Item.
- Name the Item, under Mashup, select Wimba Voice Authoring.
- Note: if a Security Warning appears, select No.
- Make sure the Java plugin is enabled - it is needed to record audio with this tool.
- Provide a Title and select the red Recording button to begin recording. When you are finished, select the Stop button, then Submit.
- The Play icon appears in the Text Box. Additional text can be added as well (optional). Select Submit.
- Students access by navigating to where the item was posted. For this example, Course Documents in the course menu, then Play.
Troubleshooting: Within any Voice Authoring tool, you will see the Wizard Setup button. Clicking on that will check your local computer settings.