Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Course Design - How to Request a Chalk Site for a New Course (Instructors)
This article explains how Instructors can create a course site for a new course in Chalk.
Chalk, as it is known on campus, is a learning management tool that uses the Blackboard Learning Suite of software to provide a common, easy-to-use framework for faculty to develop and disseminate course materials to students.
Since a few instructors do not use Chalk in their teaching efforts, Chalk course sites are not automatically created. Instead, an instructor must make the request. However, we do have an automated request form that usually creates the course within minutes of its request. On this request form, an instructor can request a new course, request that content be copied from a past course and even add their Teaching Assistants to the course.
Note - In order to use the Chalk course site request form, the instructor must have a CNetID and the course must be listed in the official Time Schedules with the assigned instructor.
Request a Chalk Site for a New Course
- Visit the Chalk website at chalk.uchicago.edu.
- Click on the Request a Course Site link.
- Log in with your CNetID and Password.
- All the courses associated in the official Time Schedule with that Instructor will appear. Select the desired Course. Note - you can only create one course at a time.
- Optional - Select if you'd like to copy material from a course taught previously. Leave blank if you are creating a brand new course.
- Optional - Add your Teaching Assistant to the course by entering his or her CNetID. If none, leave blank.
- Course Availability - By default, your course will be available to enrolled students. If you do not want your course to be available until you have reviewed the materials or for other reasons, uncheck the Make Course Site available to Students Immediately. When ready, select Continue.
- A confirmation page appears. After confirmation, you receive an automatic email when your Chalk course site is ready.
- Visit the Chalk website again and log in with your CNetID and Password.
- Your new Chalk course site appears under My Chalk, Chalk Course List.
If you are new to Chalk and would like training, you have several options:
- Attend Chalk training. Each month we hold several training sessions. Check out the training schedule and RSVP for a session.
- On the Chalk website, click on the Help Resources tab. The Help Resources tab has a wealth of documentation on almost all aspects of Chalk.
- Contact the Chalk team at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a one-on-one training session with you or your department.