Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Create an Assignment (Instructors)
This article explains how instructors can create an assignment in Chalk.
Why create an Assignment?
The Assignment tool allows instructors to create a variety of learning activities for students to view, save, download, or print. An assignment is posted for students to follow outside of the traditional classroom or to alleviate the Instructor from distributing paper inside the classroom. Each student can review past assignments and anticipate upcoming assignments. After an assignment is created, the Instructor can grade with ease since students are able to return their submissions directly into Chalk, while allowing the instructor to keep track of all submissions in a centralized, digital workspace. In addition, a column is created in the Grade Center, allowing the instructor to view the submissions online, enter grades, provide feedback and comments.
Create an Assignment
- In Edit Mode , click Assignments in the Course Menu.
- Under the Assessments tab, click Assignment.
- Enter the Name and Instructions for the assignment.
- Click the Browse My Computer button to attach a file (if students wish to download). Then, click the Open button to upload the file.
- Enter the total number of Points Possible for the assignment.
Optional Steps: Click the Make the Assignment Available checkbox to allow students to view the assignment immediately.
Note: If Instructors would like to make the assignment available at a future date, click the Date button in the Limit Availability section. If students are able to submit the assignment more than once, click the appropriate option in the Number of Attempts section.
- Optional Step: Set a due date for the assignment. Submissions after this date and time will be marked as late in the gradebook.
- Optional Step: If the assignment is for a specific group of students and NOT the entire class, click the Groups of Students option. Note: The group name and list of students in each MUST currently exist.
- Click the Submit button. A column for the assignment is created in the Grade Center.
Note: An assignment can be posted in any content area, folder or learning module, not just in the Course Menu.