Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Download Assignments (Instructors)
This article explains how an instructor can download assignments that their students have submitted in Chalk.
Why download assignments?
Instructors can download assignments (submitted by students) for viewing online, printing, or providing written comments. Downloading replaces a feature, known as the Digital Drop Box which is no longer available in Chalk. The instructor must first create an Assignment in any content area, then students are able to upload their submissions to the instructor. The instructor can then access and download the student's assignments via the Grade Center. Instructors may download all or selected submissions as a single, zipped file.
- In the Grade Center, locate the column for the Assignment you want to download, then click the drop-down arrow next the assignment name.
- Select Assignment File Download.
- On the Download Assignment page, click the Checkbox for each submission to download, or select the Checkbox in the header bar to select ALL submissions.
- Click the Submit button.
- On the Download Assignment page, click the Download Assignments Now link.
- In the pop-up window, click the Save File option, then click the OK button. Locate the folder where you want to download the file, then click the Save button.
The files will be saved as a zipped file. When using the Assignment File Download function, CNetIDs are included automatically in the file names for easy identification. However, files downloaded individually will not include the CNetID. Instructors should request that students use a file name that includes their last name or CNetID when submitting assignments. Additionally, if a student adds a comment in the Comment section of the Assignment, the downloaded zipped file may contain two files for each student: the Comment file as well as Assignment file.
If you prefer to watch a tutorial, select: Watch it! (1:35)