Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Teaching, Learning, & Research Computing > Chalk
Chalk - Send Email in Chalk (Instructors and Students)
This article explains how to send email through your course site.
Why send an email?
Email is an efficient communication tool between the students participating in the course and the Instructor and/or Teaching Assistants. Students are able to ask questions without waiting for the next class meeting period. A copy of the email sent via Chalk is also forwarded to the sender's email on record.
Email recipients may include any of the following: All Users, All Groups, All Student Users, All Teaching Assistant Users, All Instructor Users, All Observer Users, Single/Select Users, Single/Select Groups, and Single/Select Observer users.
Sending an Email
- Click Send Email under the Course Menu.
Click Tools under the Course Menu, then click Send Email.
- On the Send Email page, click one of the recipients listed, for example, Single/Select Users.
- Click the desired recipient(s) from the Available to Select list, then click the Right-pointing arrow to move the names to the Selected list. Note: The Left-pointing arrow is available if a recipient is inadvertently selected.
Tip: To select multiple recipients in a list (Windows users only), press the SHIFT key and click the first name listed and last name listed. To select multiple recipients not in an ordered list, press the CTRL key and click each recipient. For Mac users, press the COMMAND key instead of the CTRL key. You can also click the Select All button to send an email to all users.
- Type the title of the message in the Subject textbox, then type the Message.
Optional Step: Click Attach a file, then locate and attach a file from your computer. Note: Multiple attachments can be attached to a single email. After the first file is added, the option to attach another will be available.
- Click the Submit button.
- Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
- Chalk does not keep a record of sent emails. A copy of the message will be sent to the Sender's Inbox for the email account on file. Keep a copy of important messages in case they are needed at a future date.
- Chalk will NOT recognize files with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $ in the name.
- DO NOT send email through Chalk without content in the subject line. Leaving the subject line blank can prevent the message from being delivered.