Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > Cellular
iPhone - Setting Up
This article explains how to setup your iPhone at the University of Chicago.
- General tips and tricks
- Tips on Batteries
- iPhone support
- UChicago Wifi
- UChicago VPN
- Setting up your mail: xMail, other
- General iPhone support
- All technical support for the iPhone is handled by Apple directly. Technical Support is at no charge if your device is within the 1yr. warranty or if you purchase AppleCare Plus.
- If you purchased AppleCare Plus, please call the AppleCare dedicated iPhone team: 800-275-2273
- Otherwise please call Apple Technical Support: 800-676-2775
- Apple has three warranty or repair options:
- you can take the device to an Apple Store Genius Bar for repair or replacement.
- active exchange in which Apple will send a replacement and place a hold on your credit card for the value of the replacement device until your original is returned. This requires only a few minutes downtime as you swap the SIM card and resynchronize with iTunes.
- you can ask Apple to send a prepaid box to return your device in
- To activate WiFi from your iPhone:
- Go to settings and select Wi-Fi (if Wi-Fi is off slide to on position)
- Select the uchicago-secure network.
- Authenticate with your CNetID and password.
- To our WiFi network, the iPhone appears like any other computing device. You must authenticate through the same steps. However, the iPhone, in an effort to conserve battery power, will regularly attempt to close network connections. During periods of even relatively short inactivity your iPhone may disconnect from the WiFi network. When this occurs, you will need to periodically reconnect by opening a Safari page, reloading a page and re-authenticating to the wireless network. Additionally, as you roam across campus and pass from one area to another, the Access Point your iPhone is connected to may change; this may require re-authentication. See http://itservices.uchicago.edu/services/wireless/ for more information.
The current University of Chicago VPN configuration does not support the iPhone.
- Configuration is fairly straightforward, assuming you have the software update. When your devices are connected to your computer, iTunes will present the relevant upgrade options. See xMail - Setting Up xMail on Your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch for specifics.