Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > Cellular
Cellular Phone Problems
This article explains how to report problems with your cellular phone. These may include malfunctions, lost or stolen phones, or network issues.
Report malfunctioning phones directly to your service carrier.
- If your phone is malfunctioning and is over 30 days old, contact the AT&T Warranty Department at (800) 801-1101. If they request a password, it is Chicago.
- If you have Apple Care Plus, Apple will give you an additional one-year manufacturer's warranty and two accidental damage claims with a $50.00 deductible.
- If your device is less than 30 days old and has no physical damage to the hardware, you may take your device to an Apple store and they will provide replacement options.
All phones are insurable by the carrier. The deductible varies by phone model. Claims are limited to two approved claims within any consecutive twelve months. See Verizon's Terms & Conditions - Equipment Protection. If you are enrolled in either Total Equipment Coverage or the Extended Warranty program, call the Verizon Warranty Support Center at (866) 406-5154 (toll-free from landline phones).
Lost or Stolen Business Phones
Alert: Report your missing phone to your carrier and to IT Services immediately to suspend your cellular service.
- Contact the AT&T Business Customer Care at 800-331-0500.
- Call 2-5800 option 2 then option 2 to notify IT Services. If it is after hours or the weekend, please leave a voicemail message stating the date and time you discovered your phone was missing. We will credit your account from the time you left the voicemail message.
- If your equipment is lost or stolen, see the Suspend Service FAQs at the My Verizon support website. You can also dial (800) 922-0204 from any phone and suspend your service using Verizon's Interactive Voice Response (IVR) support service.
- Notify IT Services at 2-5800. When prompted, select option 2, and then option 2. If it is after hours or the weekend, please leave a voicemail message stating the date and time you discovered your phone was missing. We will credit your account from the time you left the voicemail message.
If you do not have insurance and your phone is more than one year old, you will be charged the full price of a replacement phone.
If you purchased insurance ($6.99/month), a deductible will be charged directly to your cellular phone number. Deductible amounts vary by phone model.
If you purchased insurance ($6.99/month), claims are limited to two approved claims within any consecutive 12 months. Deductible amounts vary by phone model.
If you choose not to replace your phone and attempt to cancel services, but you still have time on your contract, the cancellation charge will be based on how many months remain on your contract.
You will be subjected to a cancellation fee. The cancellation charge will be based on how many months remain on your contract.