Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > Physical Network Connections
This article explains how to request activation of a network jack.
Network connectivity on campus can be found through a physical network jack or over the campus wireless network. While wireless is common, wired networking offers certain advantages. IT Services provides the jacks and activation. Connecting through a wired network requires a working jack on the proper subnet using a fixed or DHCP-assigned IP address.
- If a jack is physically present but not active, please use the https://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/network-patching-request to request activation.
- If you require an IP address that doesn't change, use the https://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/static-ip-address-request to request a DHCP reservation.
- If your area is not served by DHCP, you can use our https://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/dns-request#overlay-context=page/dns-request to register your computer with an IP address.
- If a jack doesn't exist, installation can be arranged by submitting a request via email to email@example.com
- For Undergraduate Housing connections, see the College Housing website.
For more information, please feel free to contact the IT Services Service Desk.