Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Business Systems > Reporting Systems > Student Data Warehouse (Student/Business Objects)
Business Objects - SDW Data Security
This article describes who can use the Student Data Warehouse and what they can see.
Who can see what data in SDW?
Access to SDW data is secured in three areas:
- Student data - By Academic Unit, By Program-Of-Study (POS) department and By College Major/Minor for different details of Student personal data and Student Teaching data
- Course Registration and Teaching data - By either course unit & subject, student unit/POS dept./College Major/Minor or By Faculty division & dept
- Faculty data - By Faculty division & dept for different details of faculty personal data
These rules allow specific organizational areas to be included or excluded, creating a security role. The process of authorizing a new Business Objects SDW user includes establishing the specific rules for that individual's access.
Who can use SDW?
SDW use is restricted to those people who require access to a core set of student data in order to do their jobs and who are properly authorized. Access to SDW data via Business Objects requires use of a login ID and password, typically the user’s CNetID/password. When requesting an SDW access for Business Objects, users will request the Reporting role (the security rules above), and will specify the level of reporting access requested:
- Report Viewers – can view and refresh pre-built reports (including Standard UCDW reports as well as any reports built and deployed locally by their division)
- Interactive Report Users – in addition to report viewer rights, interactive users can also customize local copies of pre-built reports to change formatting, add/remove available query objects from display, add charts/graphs, and insert new report tabs
- Analyst Report Users – in addition to viewer and interactive rights, analysts can create their own queries and reports