Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Services & Support > Web Development/Hosting/Resources
Personal Websites - Upload to home.uchicago.edu (Windows)
This article explains how to upload pages to your personal website using Windows.
Setting up a connection to webspace.uchicago.edu
This step-by-step tutorial assumes you are using the WinSCP3 SFTP client. Don't have WinSCP3? It is freely available for download at winscp.net.
Getting connected to webspace.uchicago.edu
To create a connection for webspace.uchicago.edu, follow these instructions:
- Start WinSCP3.
- Click New.
- Host Name: webspace.uchicago.edu
- Port: 22
- User name: your CNetID
- Password: leave blank
- Private key file: leave blank
- Protocol: SFTP(allow SCP fallback)
- Click Save.
- When asked to Save Session, name it "webspace.uchicago.edu" for future use.
- Click Close.
- If this is the first time you've connected to webspace.uchicago.edu, you will be presented with a message about "The server's host key..." and will be asked if you'd like to "Continue connecting and add host key to the cache?" - click Yes.
Uploading content to webspace.uchicago.edu
- Open the WinSCP3 client.
- Select webspace.uchicago.edu, click Login.
- Note: you will be prompted for your password. If this is the first time you've connected to webspace.uchicago.edu, you will be presented with a message about "The server's host key..." and will be asked if you'd like to "Continue connecting and add host key to the cache?" - click Yes.
- On the right hand side, double-click the public_html folder.
- To copy content to your webspace.uchicago.edu webspace, simply left click on a file on the left side panel and drag it to the right panel.
- Please avoid spaces and punctuation other than . - _ in filenames.
- To test the file that was just uploaded, open up a web browser and go to http://home.uchicago.edu/~yourCNetID/filename
- Note: The filename is case sensitive.