Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools > Email & Calendaring
xMail - Setting Up xMail on Your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
This article explains how to set up xMail on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Go to the home screen and select Settings.
- In the settings menu, choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Now select Add Account.
- Choose Microsoft Exchange.
- Fill out these fields as follows:
- Email: your CNetID@uchicago.edu
- Domain: ADLOCAL
- Username: your CNetID
Please note that earlier versions of the Apple iOS software did not provide an entry for a Domain and you would consequently enter, adlocal\cnetid in the Username field, something which was discontinued after iOS 2.1. If you don't see the Domain field, please update your device's version of iOS.
- Password: your CNetID password
- Description: something descriptive like xMail to help you differentiate this from other email accounts you may create (i.e. google, yahoo, or other).
- Tap Next to check/test the settings you've entered.
- If successful, the device will automatically obtain the server name, xmail.uchicago.edu. However, if the auto configuration failed, you will be prompted to enter the Server. Enter: xmail.uchicago.edu.
- Tap Save in the upper right corner. It will again verify the configuration. NOTE: You may be required to re-enter your password.
- You will now be prompted to confirm what information you'd like to Synchronize. The default is to synchronize your Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. We suggest these all be set to "on," so that each of these
synchronizes wirelessly with Exchange.
- Tap Save
- Your account will configure synchronization. This will take a moment or two. You will be sent to the main Accounts screen, where you can stop or proceed with optional settings as noted below.
- Signature: from the Home screen, tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Signature. In the text field, type what you would like to appear as a email signature when sending mail from this device. Please note that this signature is the same across all accounts set up on the device.
- Time Zone Support: From the same screen as Signature (Mail, Contacts, Calendars), scroll down and tap Time Zone Support. This is set to "OFF" and Cupertino, California by default. Some clients may prefer to force a specific time zone when traveling. You can change this to "ON" and "Chicago," if this is your preference.