Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Phones & Internet Connections > Wireless
Wireless - Guest Network Sponsor Information
This article provides Guest Network Sponsors with instructions in order to provide Guest users with access to the campus network.
The Guest Network allows faculty and full-time staff to sponsor guests on the wireless network by creating temporary accounts they may use for up to two weeks. Guests are given access to a network independent from campus resources, providing guests with convenient Wi-Fi access to surf the web and check their mail while on campus. If your guest requires access to any secure campus resources, please consider contacting your departmental Trusted Agent. Sponsorship is not available at this time to students, medical center employees, or part-time staff of the university.
Setting up a guest:
- Go to the Guest Network Sponsor Portal, http://uchicago-guest.uchicago.edu
- Click the Go to Sponsor Login button and enter your CNetID.
- If you have not previously logged in, click Settings Customization and enter your email and set the time zone. Check the Receive email confirmation button, save your settings, and return Home.
- Click the Create Account button in the right frame.
- Enter the pertinent information. The guest's login ID will be their fully-qualified email address as you enter it here.
- Click the Submit button.
- Click the Email button to send the new account information to the client via email. You will be copied (to address in Step 3) in the email sent to your guest.
- Confirm with your guest that they received the information and understand the service. You may share the document http://answers.uchicago.edu/21912 with them.
Support for the Sponsor and limited support for the Guest are available through the IT Services Service Desk. You can reach them by phone at 2-5800 (773-702-5800), via email at email@example.com, or at the TECHB@R on the first floor of Regenstein Library during reference desk hours.
The program is governed by policies to which the Sponsor and their Guests must agree.
The Guest Wireless Network is available exclusively to enrich your role in fulfilling the mission of the University. The University provides guest network access on good faith that guests will not engage in any illegal or abusive actions while using the Guest Network.
As a sponsor, you are responsible for the following:
- Evaluate the needs of your guest to determine whether the Guest Wireless Network is the appropriate solution. (Guests who need additional access should be referred to your area's Trusted Agent http://itservices.uchicago.edu/page/trusted-agents-list for a larger suite of services)
- Replace Guest Wireless Network credentials for your guests who require additional access time.
- Deactivate guests if they depart campus early.
- Familiarize yourself with the Guest Network Policy immediately below so that you can make good decisions about providing Guest Network access, and can assist your guests if they are unclear about their responsibilities and risks.
- The Guest Wireless Network is NOT SECURE and confidentiality is not guaranteed. Use at your own risk.
- Access to the Guest Network may be permanently revoked in cases involving illegal activity, including but not limited to child pornography, threats, harassment, copyright infringement, defamation, theft, and unauthorized access.
- You may not use the Guest Network to engage in conduct which interferes with others' use of guest network and/or the activities of other users. If your use is excessive, your Guest Network access may be closed without notification.
- The University of Chicago reserves the right to revoke access to the Guest Wireless Network at any time without notification.