Topics Map > University of Chicago > IT Services > Email & Collaboration Tools
xMail - Configure Outlook 2007 for xMail (off campus)
This article explains how to set up Outlook 2007 for xMail for use off campus.
IT Services has enabled functionality for xMail that allows individuals to use their copies of Outlook from off campus without using the University VPN connection. In order to take advantage of this feature, additional setup steps are required.
- Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Mail (or Start > Control Panel > Mail, depending on your configuration).
- Click on E-mail Accounts.
- This will open the E-mail Accounts window. Click New.
- On the Auto Account Setup screen, do not enter the information. Instead, check the Manually configure server settings or additional server types box, then click Next.
- Select Microsoft Exchange on the next screen, then click Next.
- On the Microsoft Exchange Settings screen, enter the following:
- Microsoft Exchange Server: outlook.uchicago.edu
- Use Cached Exchange Mode: checked.
- Enter your CNetID into the User Name box. Click Check Name and your full name should pop up in the text box.
- If your computer is not currently in the University's Active Directory, you may be prompted to log in. Make sure your username is adlocal\cnetid and use your CNet password.
- Click on the More Settings... button.
- Go to the Connection tab, then check Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP.
- Click on the Exchange Proxy Settings button, then enter the information as seen below:
- Click OK, then OK again to return to the Add New E-mail Account window. Click Next.
- You will then be told your account setup is done. Click Finish. If you see this warning:
...then read the note below carefully before continuing.
At this point, you should confirm where Outlook will deliver your email. Return to the Mail control panel via Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Mail (or Start > Control Panel > Mail, depending on your configuration). Click E-mail Accounts, then click on the Data Files tab. You should see a menu that lists a number of locations for mail delivery. Make sure that Mailbox - CNetID\Inbox (or just Mailbox - Your Name) is set as the default, like below, and NOT Personal Folders. To change the default, click on Mailbox - Your Name then press the Set as Default button. This will ensure that mail is kept on the server instead of only being accessible from one computer.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2007.
- If you already have a Personal Folders section in your mailbox list, you are done! If not, go to the next step.
- If you don't see a Personal Folder in the left navigation pane, you need to create a new Outlook data folder. Select File > New > Outlook Data File.
- On the New Outlook Data File screen, highlight Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) and click OK.
- On the Create or Open Outlook Data File screen, accept the default file name and click OK.
- On the Create Microsoft Personal Folders screen, enter Personal Folders1 in the Name field and click OK. The folder you created displays in the navigation pane.